Monday, June 18, 2012

A Special Tribute


For many of us, our fathers are our heroes and if you just happen to be a daughter, then he can also be your first love. For me, my Daddy showed me the sweetest love a daughter could ever experience. He was and will always be my first love.

Growing up, Father's Day was always a special holiday in the Green household. As I grew into an adult, the 3rd Sunday in June always involved me taking my Dad to a wonderful restaurant of his choice. We topped it off with a delicious dessert and watched the final round of the US Open. Every single Father's Day! Never ever missing one.....Heck, Daddy even met Tom for the very first time on Father's Day in 2007, so yes, it was always celebrated with much flair! 

Yesterday was such a bitter sweet day for me. Sweet to see my husband pour out vasts amount of love and energy to his daughter. Bitter because I couldn't create more amazing Father's Day memories with my Daddy. It was my first one without him and so I decided to begin a yearly tradition. Skyler and I floated balloons to Papa's eternal Kingdom.

I choose five balloons. One for each month he's been with Jesus. I picked green balloons to honor his accomplishments as an amazing Dad (one for each daughter and the color Green for his last name) The remaining two balloons represented the legacy that will live forever through me and his granddaughter, Skyler. Our Princess choose the color purple for the remaining two. I wrote personal messages on each balloon and Skyler even decorated one for Papa!






We then went outside in the front yard to release this special tribute.



Skyler and I let the remaining three fly away from our back yard.....











I was blessed to have Tom capture such an emotional yet wonderful & newly started tradition. The weather was perfect and I know my Dad was watching with a smile. In fact, when I released the first balloon, it got hung up in my neighbor's tree, eventually getting loose and flying away. When I went back into the house to get the next balloon, I read the remaining four messages, because I was curious which message had that slight "detour". Well, the balloon's message read, "Meet you at the 2nd tree on the right..." How amazing! That exact balloon with that phrase touched God's beautiful tree before trailing off.


Happy Father's Day, Daddy! Because of your desire to provide all those special gifts, I am able to share these delightful memories each day to Skyler.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tradition you have started for Father's Day. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete